The Family Features team is excited to welcome our new Digital Design Specialist, Michael Zuniga. Check out our interview with Michael to learn more about his background, interests and new role.
1. Can you tell me a little about your background? Where were you born? Are you from Kansas City?I was born in Kansas City and lived in and around the metro most of my life. I moved back five months ago after a stint in Indianapolis in order to help family.
2. Where did you attend college and what was your major?
I received an associate degree in graphic design from Johnson County Community College and a Bachelor of Applied Science in commercial printing from Pittsburg State University.
3. Do you have any previous experience in your job field and in this particular industry?
Not in editorial, no. Most of my decade-long career was spent at a small company getting a mobile app off the ground and selling marketing services. All the major skills I use daily today were things self-taught out of necessity in order to deliver for clients in my previous roles.
4. What about your job excites you and what do you think will be challenging?
My website building experience is based entirely in Wordpress, switching to a Joomla workflow is different but not a huge change. It won’t be the first time I’ve pivoted to something new, and it won’t be the last. I’m just excited to be working with this team.
5. So far, how would you describe the environment at Family Features?
Everyone is laid back while also being dedicated to getting the job done. Everyone is trusted to know what they’re doing and no one is micromanaged. It’s a very good environment.
6. When you’re not working, what do you enjoy doing in your free time? Any hobbies?
I shoot portrait photography, ride my bike, go to the gym and build furniture.
7. Do you have any pets?
No. A dog is at the top of my agenda when I get my first house.
8. Do you have any big plans or personal goals for this year?
Get fully re-established in the KC area after being away so long.
We're looking forward to having Michael on board and growing our team!